Top 15 Brands of Reposado tequila
Tequila is more than just a party drink. It has a rich cultural heritage. You might not have known that tequila has different classifications that range from Blanco tequila, Reposado Tequila, and up to the best and longest-aged tequila, Cristalino. Tequila has a complex set of notes unique to each brand and cultivar of agave plants.
What Is Reposado Tequila?
Tequila aged anywhere between 2 months and a year is considered to be a Reposado Tequila. This type of tequila is sometimes labeled as “aged” tequila. However, you should look closely to see exactly what type of tequila you are buying.
How Reposado Tequila Is Made
Reposado Tequila is made no different than any other tequila. The only difference is in its aging period, not the manufacturing period. This type of tequila is aged for a minimum of two months and a maximum of a year before it gets another title – Añejo tequila.
Best Mixes With Reposado Tequila
Since this type of tequila is aged, it is best complemented by lightly flavored sodas and mixers and is often enjoyed on the rocks.
- Club soda – a gold standard of mixers since you can still enjoy the unique taste of this tequila when mixed with soda.
- Citrus juice – citrus complements the flavors of tequila well, so choose a bright citrus juice and add some soda water if you want bubbles in your drink.
- Agave syrup – this is essentially an old-fashioned without the bitters. Enjoy this type of tequila on the rocks with some agave syrup for a delightfully flavored drink.
Reposado Tequila Uses
Reposado Tequila performs very well in cocktails due to its more complex flavors from the aging process.
Use in Classic Cocktails
Enjoy it on The Rocks
If you want to experience the full flavor of the tequila, it's best to enjoy it on the rocks or chilled. A twist of orange or lemon peel goes well with a serving of this type of tequila.
Top 15 Brands of Reposado Tequila
1. Clase Azul Reposado Tequila
Claze Azul is one of the best and most well-known brands of tequila you can find. Their tequila has a bright gold color with notes of hazelnut and vanilla. The ABV is 40%. You can get yourself a collector-style bottle for about $200.
2. ArteNom 1414
The agaves used in ArteNom 1414 tequila are grown at an elevation of 2,045 m. It is twice distilled with an ABV of 40%. Notes include cooked agave, vanilla, and caramel. Grab a 750ml bottle for only $80.
3. Don Julio Reposado Tequila
Aged for 8 months in white-oak barrels, Don Julio's brand of tequila has a bright color and deep warm flavor. Caramel is the final note you'll taste in this 43% ABV tequila. It sells for around $55 a bottle.
Corralejo double distills their Reposado Tequila made from Weber blue agave, producing a smooth 38% ABV tequila. It is an easy-drinking tequila suitable for cocktails and is around $30 a bottle.
Made from fermenting 8-year-old blue weber agave, you'll have a good bottle of Reposado Tequila for only $30 made by AquaRiva. The tequila has 40% ABV and notes of vanilla and cooked agave.
6. Casamigos Reposado Tequila
The brand was previously co-owned by famous actor George Clooney. Certainly, this tequila lives up to his high standards. A bottle of Casamigos Reposado goes for about $55 each and has 40% ABV. You'll taste notes of nuts, dried fruits, and sweet agave.
For $68, you get rich and deep-flavored tequila that is 40% ABV. You will get tones of butter, vanilla, and citrus in every bottle of Fortaleza Reposado. It's made of 100% blue agave and aged in American Oak.
8. Jose Cuervo Reserva de la Familia Reposado
Every bottle of Jose Cuervo's family reserve Reposado is aged for 3 years, almost making it an Añejo tequila. However, it has some Añejo tequila blended in to deepen the flavors. You can get a bottle for $84, and it is rated 40% ABV.
9. G4 Tequila
G4 is a German brand of tequila made using authentic Mexican ingredients and methods. You can expect notes of grapefruit and pepper when drinking this tequila. A bottle will cost you about $54 and has a 40% ABV.
10. Villa One Reposado Tequila
The Villa One tequilas are made by Fabrica de Tequila Finos and co-founded by the famous Nick Jonas. Their tequila is aged for 6 months, is 40% ABV, and $47 per bottle. Notes in this tequila can be described as caramel, butterscotch, and chocolate.
Pepper, herbs, and even a slight saltiness can be tasted in Santera's Reposado Tequila. The brand ages their tequila for 7 months in oak barrels, sells a bottle at about $44, and has a 40% ABV.
The owners of PaQui tequilas focus on enhancing the taste of the agave used in the process, as opposed to enhancing other notes in the drink. You can find a bottle of PaQui tequila with a 40% ABV for around $50.
13. Mijenta Reposado
Slowly aged in oak barrels for about 6 months, Mijenta Reposado Tequila has a full flavor and notes of the oak it matured in. Their tequila sells for $68 each and has 40% ABV.
14. Roca Patrón Reposado
The owners of the Roca Patron brand age their tequila Reposado in oak barrels and deliver a smooth, long-lasting taste. Flavors of vanilla, ginger, and caramel can be tasted in the 42% ABV tequila, which goes for about $77 a bottle.
15. Herradura Reposado Tequila
According to Herradura, not only is this brand the world's first Reposado Tequila, but it also has won 49 awards. The notes in their tequila include cinnamon, vanilla, and rich agave flavors. A bottle of Herradura Reposado is 40% ABV and is only around $48 a bottle.
5 Reposado Tequila Recipes
1. El Duelo
Tangy tamarind and sweet agave syrup meet in this cocktail to make a delightful drink.
- 2 parts Tequila Reposado
- 1 part fresh lime juice
- ½-¾ parts agave nectar (according to taste)
- ½ part Tamarind nectar
- Rim a coupe glass with tajin chili powder
- Add all the ingredients into a cocktail shaker with ice, shake and strain.
2. Reposado Margerita
You can use Blanco tequila in this drink, but using Reposado Tequila makes it full of complex flavors you'll enjoy.
- 1 oz. Fresh lime juice
- ½ oz. cointreau or other triple-sec orange liqueur
- 2 oz. Reposado Tequila
- 2 teaspoons superfine sugar
- Rim a glass with salt and set aside
- Mix lime juice and sugar in a cocktail shaker until almost dissolved, then add the rest of the ingredients with some ice and shake for about 30 seconds. Strain and enjoy
3. Bacchus Tequila Sunrise
- 1 1/2 ounces Espolón Reposado Tequila
- 3 ounces Cara Cara orange juice, freshly squeezed
- 1/4 ounce spiced grenadine
- Shake the tequila and orange juice in a shaker with ice and strain into a highball glass
- Carefully pour the spiced grenadine down the inside of the glass to create a ‘sunrise' effect in the drink. Top with a garnish of your choice, and enjoy.
4. Reposado Paloma
Grapefruit, bubbly soda, and tequila make this drink refreshing and tasty.
- 2 oz. Reposado Tequila
- ½ cup grapefruit juice
- ½ lime, juiced
- ½ oz. agave nectar – use to your taste
- Rim your glass with salt and set it aside.
- Add your juice, tequila, and agave nectar to a cocktail shaker with ice. Shake for a few seconds until cold and strain into your glass.
- Top with club soda and enjoy.
5. Hibiscus, Tequila, and Sprite Cocktail
Make a deliciously sweet summer drink with only 5 ingredients.
- 2 oz. cooled hibiscus tea
- 1 ½ oz. Tequila
- ¼ oz. Freshly squeezed lime juice
- ½ oz. simple syrup (optional)
- 2 oz. Sprite lemon-lime soda
- Add all your ingredients into a cocktail shaker with ice and shake until cooled. Strain into a highball glass, and enjoy.
How to Drink Reposado Tequila
To impress your friends, family, and tastebuds, you need to know how to drink tequila Reposado.
- Always serve it chilled – keep your tequila in the fridge and serve it chilled, especially when drinking it neat.
- Avoid the salt and lime – if you are drinking this tequila neat, skip the salt and lime to enjoy the flavors the liquor has to offer
- Take your time – if you take time to sip your tequila slowly, you will be able to taste the notes each brand has to offer.
What’s the Difference Between Tequila Reposado vs Tequila Añejo?
The difference lies in the aging process. Tequila Reposado is aged for 2-12 months. In contrast, Añejo is aged for longer than 12 months. With every stage of aging tequila, more complex flavors develop.
What Is the Best Reposado Tequila on the Market?
Depending on how you intend to drink the Reposado Tequila, the best ones will differ. Herradura, Roca Patron, and Jose Cuervo are all the best this type of tequila for sipping.
Is There a Worm in Reposado Tequila?
The worm-in-the-bottle is a legend. No tequila ought to have any worms in them.
Reposado Tequila is the best tequila to offer the most flavor for your money. It is slightly older than a Blanco Tequila but without the price tag of an Añejo Tequila. It has enough potency to still shine in a cocktail or mixed into drinks, so enjoy it in a summer drink or neat on the rocks.